28 May, 2009

Blogging is more fun than writing essays, obviously I've been having NO fun here...

Hey all! I know, I know. I'm the world's largest slacker/loser. I have been doing a lot to be keeping busy, but mostly school work (and traveling just a little) So I have to catch everyone up from February eh? Daaaang Gina, I suck at life. I'm not kidding though, Uni (that's short for Univeristy for all you 'yanks') work has really kept me busy, between that and Heather coming for a short 3 week visit, I've had like no time at all (that's right Heather, its all your fault). I think I may devote a different post to our sisterly adventures around the UK. So, now that I'm finished with all of my essays and exams for my final term here at Notts and I have to tell you all, I am kind of a smart cookie ;) All I have to do now is survive my dissertation and all will be well. So, let me just highlight a little of what's been going on with me for the last 3 months or so, sit back, relax, and please don't eat at the computer, it gets crumbs in the keyboard.
March Madness




Wowzers, I'm not even sure what I did in March. For those of you who don't remember I sprained my ankle in February, so I had to cut back on activities. I did go to a Keane concert in Sheffield on one foot......and went to a Medieval Madness activity in Manchester. On to March...there was Mossfest: a 'battle of the bands' held at some very large country house between Stoke-on-Trent and Manchester. I'm not kidding people, this house was large, even for American standards. The bands played in their indoor squash courts. After the bands played, there was a 'rave', (used in the loosest of terms, we are Mormon.....) and we danced until about 2am.

As a YSA activity, we Notts people decided to set up a little scavenger hunt in the City Centre. Always good times, we split into 3 groups and ran around the crowded city for a whole afternoon. We had to do things like 'insert youself into a store display', 'find the oldest church in Nottingham', find a red post box and a red phone box. Good times were had by all. I also decided to set myself a goal to read the entire Book of Mormon in the month of March, it was a struggle some days, but it was totally worth it and I learned loads! Best of all, I totally did it!! I had to read a lot some days, but there was a 1 day grace period built in, so that worked well what with traveling.

Nottingham


Speaking of traveling! Easter Break hit and I got to go to 2 new countries with my Diplomacy class. We went to Amsterdam, Clingendael (Holland/Netherlands), and Brussels (Belgium). Oh my word, it was so much fun (minus the fact that I forgot to pack a coat)! I got to take the Eurostar so it was my first time in the Channel Tunnel (Chunnel) what a way to travel! Although I do admit we did get a little travel-worn a 12 hour day on trains is not really relaxing. Amsterdam was quite lovely though (of course I didn't venture over to the more *ahem* dodgy areas) We only stayed there one night, but it was long enough to get a few souveniers, eat at an Argentine/Italian steakhouse, and get caught in a hailstorm. The following morning, we got up WAY early and took a coach to Clingendaal or: The Netherlands Institute of International Relations, run by the Hague. While we were there we did some workshops and got to walk around the beautiful grounds. Free refreshments too! Woot! So after our Clingendael experience. We got back onto the coach and continued to Brussels.



Amsterdam


We got into Brussels in the evening, just in time to quickly drop off our stuff at our trashy Chinese hotel and go into the City Centre. It was so gorgeous! The Grand Square is the place to be, fo sho, and we ate on 'Greek Row' there were literally 15 Greek resturaunts with waiters standing outside trying to get you to come in. Then we were off in search of chocolate! Holy cow, I heart Belgian chocolate, it is quite nice, American chocolate doesn't even come close.


Brussels

The next day in Brussels we got to go to the EU Comission and have some presentations, and get some cool information from them, oh yeah, and we got caught in a thunderstorm/monsoon because our coach dropped us off in the wrong place, so the EU people took pity on us and gave us free umbrellas :D So after the EU and getting back into dry/warm clothes. We were set free upon the streets. My friend Camilla and I wandered around just looking for places of interest, no map, no idea of where we were. It was good fun too! We got to see the Grand Palace, and some really gorgeous churches and gardens. We had that evening free as well and we (again) wandered around until very late and went back to the hotel to get a good night's rest and get ready for SHAPE.

Brussels

The Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, the headquarters of the NATO military organization was just outside of Brussels and we got to have some really informative talks there, I actually really enjoyed our tour guide, he was a really entertaining German general. After SHAPE we went back to the hotel, packed up our things, and got back onto the Eurostar and headed back to England where I had a day to rest, do laundry, then head back into London to pick up Heather.

April

Alright, even though I'm not quite into April yet, it still counts I say. I went down to London a day early so I could just bum around, and also because Heather was landing at noon, and I didn't want to spend all day on trains again. I've had enough of that.

So, spending a whole day in the Nation's Capital, what did I do? Of course I went shopping! I went to the legendary Camden Town Market, pretty much the coolest place on Earth. Name a country, they have food from there available for a bargain price of £4. No matter what it was! Ask Heather, it's amazing. I wandered around there for a few hours, trying to take everything in (which is impossible) I made friends with an artist selling some of his prints (under the guise of 'killer strawberry') he was pretty much the coolest guy ever. So when I was finished at Camden, I went on down to St. Paul's and walked around the area, across the Millenium Bridge, and went to the Tate Modern. Anyone who knows me knows that while I do appreciate art, and things of this nature, I'm not much of a 'museum-ie' I tend to take about an hour to see an entire floor. So, I thought that this museum would be much the same. Uh....FALSE. I am still kind of amazed by this museum, I spent about 4 hours looking around and seeing famous/new/sometimes disturbing art and enjoying myself to boot! (Ok, ok I did take a little break.....) And I totally got told off for taking photos in the museum....oops.

London


I really think I'm going to have to do another blog to explain the wonderfulness that is my sister and our epic adventures in Nottingham/Chatsworth/Dublin/London. I'll just quickly add this photo and move on because the rest of April was spent in the computer lab, writing essays and doing presentations. :P

Ireland

May

That brings this marathon blog post to a close with May. Much of the same happens in May as in April meaning, lots of rain, essays, and exams. I finally finished and got to go to a YSA convention in Bristol. It was my frist time in Bristol (granted I didn't get to see much) I really need to get to Bath cause I didn't make it this trip. Mom, we'll defo make it when you come to visit. The Bristol convention was pretty awesome, we (Kirsty, Abbie and I) had a fun time, and met lots of new really cool people. Also, I learned how to snowboard (on a dry slope) and we got to raise like £304 for cancer research as one of our service projects. We had President Causse of the First Quorum of the Seventy come and speak with us, and it was really really amazing. Also, on Monday, they brought a bunch of inflatables and activities for us to do, and yes, I did SUMO!



Holla, I look awesome really fat. ;) I am really excited for the rest of this month, and the upcoming Manchester Convention that includes all of the UK and Ireland. I can't wait to see Rachel in a few weeks and go to Prague! Also, I'm going to have Andrea and Katy come to visit me in July and hopefully make it over to Italy to see the Marlors. (When am I going to write my 15,000 word dissertation?)

I miss everyone and hope that you are doing well. I am looking forward to giving you all a ginormous hug! Love to you all, take care, and be good!

Loves!
Suzzy

2 comments:

Matthew Ware said...

Loved it! That sumo suit looks fun. That's something I'd try.

Emily Anne said...

Thank you for the blog. I have been wondering why you were ignoring us and now I understand. You are pretending that the reason is school, but I can read through the lines and understand that you are partying and traveling instead of keeping anyone up to date about what you are doing. Your mom is excited about seeing you and I am jealous. She made Blake the most awesome blanket! Your mom rocks. Love and miss you. Sorry we can't afford to come see you. We think about you often.