![]() |
| It's a sign! |
The program is really exciting, I am doing an MA in International Development and Service. "How is this different from your other MA in International Relations?", you may ask. It's a more specialised focus on working with geographic areas that need assistance in anything from infrastructure to education to basic human needs/rights. I'm going to be able to not only study Development theory, but to put it into practice. I also get the opportunity to travel to different areas of the world and apply what I've learned. The program is through IPSL, an organisation that specialises in providing meaningful, practical service experience to students in all levels of education. So after Portland, my cohorts and I are off to Northern Italy, and then to Thailand! (Exciting, isn't it?)
Moving is always a bit of a stress...of course I wanted to work until the last possible moment, and then there was the issue of packing. Being the kind and considerate daughter that I am I packed up all of my things in the house (so that, in the event that they decide to move, my parents wouldn't have my things to contend with as well) and packed much more than was necessary for one semester, and drove from Omaha to Portland.
Driving across country by one's self is really quite liberating. I had plenty of snacks,
an iPhone full of music, and an iPod full of audiobooks. So, naturally, I listened to the first 3 Harry Potter books while driving. There's nothing like Stephen Fry reading you across the plains and mountains. Luckily I have some wonderful friends to help me along the way and was able to stop and stay the night in Bountiful and Boise (with a quick detour to Rexburg to see the Marlors). And of course there was the beautiful scenery.
Portland is pretty great. I'm still getting used to having a roommate again and having to share a bathroom...but things will soon settle in. My cohorts (classmates) are amazing people, I couldn't have asked for a better group to accompany me on this journey. We are all really diverse, but all have a healthy respect for one another. We all agree that we're pretty amazing. I've explored Portland a bit, and really appreciate the diversity, quirks, and hidden gems I've found so far.
I've caught up with an old friend from High School, and I'm looking forward to many more fun excursions with her!
I've officially started my second week of classes and they're going well, we are in the process of picking our placements and starting the visa process for studying abroad! Busy, busy, busy!! Watch this space for more updates (though not as lengthy as this one...again, insomnia). As the semester continues, I'm sure there will be many more exciting adventures to share.
Love to all,
Suzzy












No comments:
Post a Comment